Virtual Chinese Xiao Instrument
Xiao is a Chinese vertically played, membrane-less wind instrument and is made from a bamboo stem. With its serious and deep sound, Xiao is traditionally used in ritual music. In contemporary music, Xiao is often used in Chinese fantasy themes. Although the music played on the Xiao is usually slow and gentle, it is also good at reproducing heavy emotions through airflow attack and vibrato.
There are three main varieties of Xiao: Dongxiao is what Three Body Tech presents with Lost Soul; Nanxiao, with a deeper sound, which is widely used in southern China; and Qinxiaom which has a softer sound compared to the previous two and is used specifically to accompany guqin (a 7-string plucked instrument).
- Adjustable Sound Field – During the recording of the samples, 5 microphones were used in different positions to capture the room and reverb characteristics. All channels were mixed down to four which you can adjust in the user interface.
- Authentic Performance – By controlling the airflow and fingering, the Xiao offers a variety of performances such as mordent, finger pole popping, trill, flutter, vibrato, staccato and gliss. All of these performances can be triggered from within the GUI.
- Realistic Expressions – Lost Soul features realistic recorded articulations that can be freely controlled. Using MIDI CC, tone changes can be implemented as in a real hulusi performance.
- Gliss – With three different speeds of real gliss samples and a sample synthesis technique, Lost Soul can perform gliss at any adjustable speed.
- Vibrato Engine – Based on real samples, Lost Soul’s LFO engine allows realistic and adjustable vibrato.
- Sampling Engine – The self-developed sampling engine features the best sound quality, powerful disk buffer streaming/sampling compression technology and sound fusion technology.
- Legato – The sound between legato notes was recorded in two speeds and is applied in the software according to the playing speed. In addition, “regular legato”, “fast legato” and “popping legato” articulations specific to Chinese Xiao have been recorded.
- Spectrum Fusion Legato Technology – To improve legato performance, the Spectrum Fusion Legato process has been developed where two samples are blended into each other to improve legato performance.
- Convolution Reverb – Lost Soul contains convolution reverb samples of spectacular locations as well as famous Chinese natural and historical monuments.
- Effects Rack – Compressor, EQ, Chorus and Ping-Pong Delay for shaping the sound of the Xiao to your liking.
- Pattern Library – Lost Soul provides you with a pattern library that allows you to easily realize your works and ideas. You can also create your own patterns by dragging in MIDI clips.
- Intel or AMD CPUs with SSE 4.1 instruction set.
- Mac OS X 10.9 / Windows 7.
- 4GB RAM and 2GB disk space.
Plugin Formats Provided:
- Windows: 32-/64-bit VST2, 64-bit AAX
- Mac: 64-bit VST2, Audio Unit and AAX
Extra Requirements on Specific Hosts:
- Logic Pro X or higher (Logic 9 is not supported)
- Only 32-bit VST was supported in Cakewalk Sonar 8.5
An internet connection is required to authorize / activate the product.